Power outages across Southeast Michigan mean many homeowners are relying on portable generators or other alternative heat sources. That is prompting the Detroit Fire Department to issue a warning. Department Captain Chris Dixon says generators, kerosene heaters, propane heaters, and other similar portable appliances must have ventilation.
“Any gasoline powered generator created carbon monoxide which is very dangerous, odorless, and colorless. We urge that you do not use these generators in the house, inside your basement, even inside a closed garage, because they all need ventilation”
Dixon warns residents against lighting a gas or propane fueled appliance anywhere inside your home or in a closed garage.