Detroit’s water department is addressing concerns that some residents are being left out of the utility’s restart program.
The city is offering a “25-dollar-month” plan, at zero cash down, for customers without water during the coronavirus outbreak.
“Give me 10 people in your district that don’t have water, and I’ll give you within 24 hours a response as to how we got that water back on.” - Gary Brown, Detroit Water Department
Water department director Gary Brown told Detroit City Council this past Monday that he is not sure how many homes in Detroit are without water. He says the utility has restored service to more than 700 properties since the COVID-19 outbreak, with 300 more in the process of joining the program.
“I would ask every council person, give me 10 people in your district that don’t have water, and I’ll give you within 24 hours a response as to how we got that water back on,” said Brown.
The utility initially identified 3,000 homes that had their water shut-off in the last year and is planning on expanding its outreach to thousands more. Water-rights activists say many are still without service.