There is an interesting blog from the smart folks at Jacobs Media titled “Where Is Podcasting In The Game Of Media Monopoly?” centered on the surge of popularity and big money investments in podcasting. The basic question is how do you as a business value podcasting and how do you determine if you should invest your advertising dollars in reaching the podcast audience.
Jacobs coins the phrase “Media Monopoly” when describing what is going on right now in the podcasting world. “Podcasting has become a form of Media Monopoly. Buyers, sellers, content creators, and publishers are attempting to value properties, oftentimes with intuition and gut rather than with metrics.”
THE VALUE OF PODCASTING
There are a few highlights from the Jacobs Media blog post to consider:
- Public Radio is huge with podcasting- NPR has some of the most popular podcast programs.
- Value is more than just audience size. The true value is the “quality” of the audience. In the NPR model, that audience is higher educated and higher income.
- Podcast brands and personalities rank high for determining value, think Ira Glass of This American Life and Terry Gross of Fresh Air- both NPR programs.
- Podcast listeners are loyal. Two thirds listen to the entire podcast! See chart below.
- Podcast metrics are still being figured out.
Check out the full Jacobs Media blog post here.
SPONSORING A WDET PODCAST
As an NPR Station with a loyal, highly educated, high-income audience, WDET produces a number of popular podcast programs by some of our most respected personalities like Detroit Today with Stephen Henderson, Essential Conversations with Ann Delisi and more! To learn more about the value of podcasting and how to sponsor a WDET podcast contact us online or by calling (313) 577-4255 so we can start the conversation today to help grow your business.
WDET is Detroit’s NPR Station and your connection to news, music, conversation. Celebrating 70 years of service to the Detroit community!