Welcome to the Detroit Evening Report, a daily round-up of news that city residents need to know.
The Detroit Public School District will spend $700 million of funds from the American Rescue Plan Act to build five new schools and reopen seven. The Detroit News reports that 64 other buildings will also get renovations such as roofing, heating and cooling. A handful of buildings will also be demolished. Superintendent Nikolai Vitti says the building repairs will not increase taxes for Detroiters. The district will have community engagement sessions regarding the new buildings. Vitti says the work will begin in the spring.
Other headlines for May 19, 2022:
- Detroit’s Parks Planning shares Parks & Recreation Strategic Plan
- Bridge Detroit and Detroit is Different holds first town hall at Norwest Gallery
- Detroit announces construction of community center near the Detroit River
- Detroit’s Office of Arts, Culture and Entrepreneurship and Artspace is hosting community meeting
- Coalition for Police Transparency and Accountability asks U.S. Department of Justice to investigate DPD for use of force
Listen: Today’s top stories from the Detroit Evening Report.