Stephen Henderson and the Detroit Today team invite you to read Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha’s “What The Eyes Don’t See: The Story of Crisis, Resistance, and Hope in an American City.”
The book dives into Dr. Attisha’s story in contributing to the discovery of elevated lead levels in Flint’s public water infrastructure. Throughout the summer, Detroit Today will lead a community-wide discussion on the story of Flint and how it’s affected the country’s views on infrastructure, justice and the relationship between state and local government.
And now, you can join us in that discussion. Read the book and engage with us online, on the radio and at events throughout the region. Here’s how:
Facebook: Join The WDET Book Club on Facebook where we will post articles and discussion topics throughout the summer. We’ll also invite guests to participate in targeted discussions you can engage in throughout the next couple of months.
On the radio: Listen to 101.9 WDET! We’ll have interviews and conversations about Flint then and now, and more conversations about water quality, and trust in government during Detroit Today. You can listen to them on the radio, on demand and on the Detroit Today Podcast.
Follow us on Twitter: Follow hashtag Detroit Today where we will tweet our events, our guests and information about issues of safe water in our sinks, streams and lakes..
Events: We will travel to libraries around the region with guests who played a role in the book. They will tell their own stories about their involvement in the Flint water crisis, and we’ll invite local experts to talk about issues affecting our water in each community.
WDET Book Club 2019
- Tuesday, June 25th, 6:00 pm, Source BookSellers.
4240 Cass Ave #105, Detroit, MI
- Saturday, July 13, 10:00 am, Flint Public Library, featuring Congressman Dan Kildee.
1026 E Kearsley St, Flint, MI 48503
- Monday, July 22, 6:00 pm, St. Clair Shores Library, featuring Detroit Free Press columnist Nancy Kaffer.
22500 E Eleven Mile Rd, St Clair Shores, MI 48081
- Monday, August 5, 7:00 pm, Ann Arbor District Downtown Library, featuring Michigan Radio Investigative Reporter Lindsey Smith and State Senator Jeff Irwin.
343 S 5th Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Thursday, August 22, 6:00 pm, Ferndale Area District Library, featuring Curt Guyette, the ACLU of Michigan investigative reporter and Jim Nash, Oakland County Water Resources Commissioner.
222 E 9 Mile Rd, Ferndale, MI 48220
- Tuesday, September 10, 6:00 pm, Detroit Public Library, featuring Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha.
5201 Woodward, Detroit, MI 48202
Events are subject to change. New events may be added.