The United Auto Workers union reached a tentative contract with General Motors on Monday, the last of the Detroit Three automakers to agree to a deal.
The GM contract agreement follows tentative deals union negotiators reached with Ford Motor Company on Wednesday and Jeep-maker Stellantis on Saturday. Workers at all three companies have returned to the job pending votes on whether to ratify the new contracts, which will take place over the next two weeks.
The main provisions of the deals are largely the same at all three automakers with a few small differences. The agreements will last four years and eight months and include 25% general pay raises and cost of living adjustments. Combined they bring the wage increase to over 30% over the life of the contract, the Associated Press reported.
The targeted strikes began on Sept. 15.
Other headlines for Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2023:
- State Sen. Stephanie Chang (D-Detroit) is hosting a town hall at Chrysler Elementary School, 1445 E. Lafayette St., Detroit, from 4 to 6 p.m. this Saturday, Nov. 4 to discuss the I-375 Reconnecting Communities Project with the community.
- The All Things Detroit Holiday Shopping Experience and Food Truck Rally returns to Eastern Market beginning this Sunday, Nov. 5, in sheds 3, 4 and 5, featuring a wide collection of food trucks, local artisans and small businesses, a local art gallery, photo booths, music and more.
- The owners of the Ambassador Bridge have agreed to donate 10 properties in and around Hubbard Richard to the neighborhood and give $20,000 per property to assist in redevelopment.
- The City of Detroit hosted a ribbon cutting on Tuesday for a new menswear boutique in Midtown called MATURE.
- The national TV network the CW is not available right now in Detroit, as WADL-TV awaits FCC approval for its sale to Mission Broadcasting.
- The Lions won last night against the Las Vegas Raiders at home, 26-14. It was their first Monday Night Football game since 2018.
- The Detroit Pistons lost last night to the Oklahoma City Thunder, 112-124. The Pistons play the Portland Trail Blazers at home on Wednesday. Tip off is set for 7 p.m.
- The Red Wings won in overtime last night against the New York Islanders, 4-3. The Wings are back in action Thursday at home against the Florida Panthers. Puck drops at 7 p.m.
Do you have a community story we should tell? Let us know in an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.