Job Title: Senior Producer, WDET
Wayne State University is searching for an experienced Senior Producer for 101.9 WDET at its Detroit campus location.
Wayne State is a premier, public, urban research university located in the heart of Detroit, Michigan where students from all backgrounds are offered a rich, high-quality education. Our deep-rooted commitment to excellence, collaboration, integrity, diversity and inclusion creates exceptional educational opportunities which prepare students for success in a global society.
Essential functions (job duties):
The Senior Producer advises and reports to the Program Director, overseeing production and day-to-day editorial for WDET daily original programming. This role provides direct supervision for hosts and producers, assigning daily content production duties, and confirming editorial direction in adherence with established program mission(s). The Senior Producer conducts daily and weekly meetings with associated daily WDET programmers, deploying resources, and organizing workflow as required to ensure the quality of WDET on-air programming meets organizational standards for service to the community. The Senior Producer supports the Program Director in the evaluation of these offerings and implements changes to programs as directed. This position reports to the Program Director, WDET.
Oversee and manage daily original programming for WDET as assigned by the Program Director. Support Program Director by providing overall management of assigned programs, hosts, producers, journalists, and department assistants.
Evaluate WDET original daily programs, leading producers, and hosts of programs to ensure program compliance and cultivate a continuous improvement environment.
Provide coaching, mentoring, and skill development for programming staff as well as ongoing performance feedback, goal setting, and development plans for assigned staff.
In consultation with the Program Director, interpret program data to evaluate assigned programs.
Organize and conduct air-checks for assigned programs. Track and measure progress against identified areas for improvements.
Collaborate with WDET staff to coordinate the integration of social media, web/ digital, including podcasts, into WDET’s programming.
Perform other related duties as assigned.
Job Reports to: Program Director.
Leadership Accountability: Implements operating plans.
Supervisory Accountability: Supervises professionals and non-managers.
Organizational Accountability: Manages sub-unit of a department.
Customer Accountability: Interfaces with customers inside the S/C/D.
Freedom to Act: Subject to general input from supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Media Studies, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Specialist (minimum 5 years of job-related experience).
- Experience in public media programming and community engagement.
- Significant daily show management experience required.
- Demonstrated experience managing and developing staff and talent required.
- Experience using a Content Management System to produce web content.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to prioritizes work activities and adapt to rapidly changing conditions; complete tasks correctly, on time and within budget; plan for discussion/coverage of pre-planned major news events within the show; possess solid news judgement; and exercise superior independent judgment, decision making and leadership skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and professionally, both orally and in writing. Strong presentation and training skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with multiple WDET teams. Must have ability to work in a live program environment and remain poised under pressure.
- Demonstrated capacity for multi-tasking, flexibility in face of changing priorities, and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Knowledgeable of current events, thought leaders, and issues of importance to Metro Detroiters.
- Knowledgeable of multiple media production (radio, web), editorial standards/management, and journalism practices. Ability to utilize social and digital media to engage audiences.
- Understands objectives and mission of department and work unit. Monitors own work to ensure quality. Performs work with concentration, focus and accuracy. Works effectively and completes quality work in a timely manner to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors and proactively managing implicit bias.
H72 – WDET
H8703 – WDET
- Regular Employee
- Job type: Full Time
- Job category: Staff/Administrative
- Compensation type: Annual Salary
- Salary minimum: $55,000
- Salary hire maximum: $80,000
Normal office environment
- Number of openings: 1
- Reposted position: No
Background check requirements:
University policy requires certain persons who are offered employment to undergo a background check, including a criminal history check, before starting work. If you are offered employment, the university will inform you if a background check is required.
Equal employment opportunity statement:
Wayne State University provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. The university encourages applications from women, people of color and other underrepresented people. Wayne State is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.