Two Detroit police officers are facing felony charges after allegedly forcing their way into a Roseville home last month. Macomb County prosecutors claim Officers Brianna Cabano, 29, of Auburn Hills and Dayna Sears, 21, of Southfield broke into the residence on April 11, where they allegedly destroyed and stole property. Both work in the Detroit Police Department’s Second Precinct.
The two officers are facing 15-year felonies for second-degree home invasion in addition to malicious destruction of property and larceny charges. Cabano is facing an additional home invasion conspiracy charge, which also carries a 15-year sentence. Both officers were each given a $5,000 personal bond and issued a no-contact order, which prohibits them from having any physical or verbal interactions with the alleged victim.
A civilian, Colleen Compton, has also been charged and is alleged to have aided the officers.
“At this point in time, I’m not willing to comment on anything,” Camilla Barkovic, Cabano’s attorney, told WDET. Sears’ attorney did not respond to a request for comment.
According to DPD, Cabano has been suspended with pay since April 13, and Sears was similarly suspended on April 19. Police Chief James White is seeking stricter penalties.
“The chief made a recommendation to suspend those officers without pay,” said DPD Sgt. Jordan Hall.
Cabano and Sears’ employment with DPD were discussed at a police oversight meeting on May 4. The session was closed to the public at the request of the Detroit Police Officers Association. After several minutes of discussion, the Detroit Board of Police Commissioners did not approve White’s proposal to cut the officers’ salaries.
“We needed more information so that administrative leave without pay is still pending,” Police Commissioner Ricardo Moore told WDET. “It’s a personnel issue that I’m not at liberty to discuss.”
DPOA did not return WDET’s request for comment in time for this story. Last year, Cabano and Sears received lifesaving citations from DPD leadership.
A preliminary exam for all three defendants is scheduled for June 14 in the 39th District Court.
Following WDET’s reporting, Macomb County Prosecutor Peter J. Lucido confirmed that the Roseville home belongs to a DPD officer and released the following statement:
“As prosecutors, it is our duty to hold all individuals accountable for their actions, regardless of their profession or position of authority. The crime of home invasion is a serious offense and the fact that the defendants in this case are police officers only amplifies the severity of their actions. We will pursue justice with the utmost integrity and impartiality, ensuring that the law is upheld and justice is served for the victims of this crime.”