Welcome to the Detroit Evening Report, a daily round-up of news that city residents need to know.
The House Committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol has announced it will hold a previously unscheduled hearing Tuesday. The committee wrapped up a series of hearings planned for June last week. The committee says the hearing says will focus on “recently obtained evidence” – and will contain witness testimony. The hearings will air live on WDET at 1 p.m. Tuesday and on wdet.org.
Other headlines for June 27, 2022:
- Whitmer urges the Michigan Supreme Court to quickly determine whether abortion will be legal in the state
- U.S. Rep. Brenda Lawrence tests positive for COVID-19
- Great Lakes Water Authority names new CEO
- Alexander Jefferson, who served with the Tuskegee Airmen during World War II, passes away at 100 years old
- Chef Max Hardy crowned the winner of the 2022 Detroit Burger Battle