Welcome to the Detroit Evening Report, a daily round-up of news that city residents need to know.
A fire swept through Traffic Jam and Snug early Friday, destroying the landmark restaurant and brewpub in Midtown Detroit owned by Scott Lowell and Carolyn Howard. The fire did not spread to the neighboring Third Man Records or Shinola’s flagship watch store. Fire officials say no one was inside Traffic Jam & Snug at the time of the early morning blaze. The restaurant is believed to be a total loss. No injuries have been reported. The cause of fire wasn’t immediately known.
Other headlines for May 27, 2022:
- Perry Johnson files legal challenge to get on August primary ballot
- Baby formula shortage highlights racial disparities
- David Whitney Building is getting a rebranding and makeover
- End Gun Violence Michigan is hosting “Silence the Violence” March next week in Detroit
- Detroit Equity Action Lab is taking applications for racial equity fellowship
- Cass Tech student mural to be featured at McDonald’s on Mack
Listen: Today’s top stories from the Detroit Evening Report.