Welcome to the Detroit Evening Report, a daily round-up of news that city residents need to know.
The Michigan Supreme Court has asked Gov. Gretchen Whitmer to explain how and whether it should bypass lower courts in evaluating Michigan’s 1931 abortion ban. Whitmer has asked the court to declare the ban illegal under the state constitution. A document leaked earlier this month suggests the U.S. Supreme Court may overturn Roe v. Wade – the 1973 decision that legalized abortion across the country. A judge at the Michigan Court of Claims has issued a temporary injunction blocking enforcement of the state’s law if the federal law is overturned. Anti-abortion activists have asked the Court of Appeals to overturn that injunction. Court watchers say a ruling from the country’s top court could come as soon as this week.
Other headlines for May 23, 2022:
- Pfizer says 3-dose COVID-19 vaccine for kids younger than 5 is 80% effective
- Statewide initiative aims to help Black contractors access capital
- Detroit Public Schools Community District wraps up alumni celebrations
- Michigan may get more tax money in the near future than it expected – $5 billion more
- State Rep. Johnson disqualified from running for the newly created 1st District in the August primary
Listen: Today’s top stories from the Detroit Evening Report.