Welcome to the Detroit Evening Report, a daily round-up of news that city residents need to know.
Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan has tested positive for COVID-19. Duggan says his symptoms are mild – “much like an average cold.” The mayor is vaccinated and has received a booster shot. He says an at-home COVID test was negative Saturday but a second test Sunday came back positive for the virus. Detroit’s Health Department has reported more than 124,000 COVID cases and more than 3,300 deaths from the virus since the start of the pandemic. State health officials have reported more than 2 million cases and almost 33,000 deaths across Michigan.
Other headlines for April 4, 2022:
- Michigan Democrats call on Nessel’s office to investigate charges against BLM participants
- Whitmer appoints judges to fill partial-term vacancies in Wayne and Macomb counties
- Eastpointe Board of Ethics dismisses complaint against Mayor Monique Owens
- New cars sold in the U.S. will need to offer an average of 40 miles per gallon by 2026
- New vehicle sales in the U.S. are down 12% from last year
Listen: Today’s top stories from the Detroit Evening Report.