Welcome to the Detroit Evening Report, a daily round-up of news that city residents need to know.
John Conyers III joined the crowded race for the 13th Congressional District today. Conyers’ campaign notes he is entering the race after gaining the most votes in a poll of possible and committed Democratic candidates for the 13th. Conyers is the son of John Conyers Jr., who was the longest serving Black representative in history before being removed from office amid allegations of inappropriate behavior toward female staff. Conyers III, who is 31, says the 13th needs “the same social justice advocacy” his father provided and a leader to face “modern problems.” The newly-redrawn district includes parts of Detroit.
Other headlines for March 28, 2022:
- Group working to establish a mosque in Troy wins lawsuit against the city
- Ruling could impact prosecution against Snyder, other officials in Flint water case
- Michigan Supreme Court rejects challenge to new State House map
- 17th UAW official convicted in corruption investigation
- Ferris State University and Calvin University name new leaders
Listen: Today’s top stories from the Detroit Evening Report.