A former Humphrey Fellow from Michigan State University was killed last week in an Israeli airstrike in Gaza, along with 15 members of his family, the Islamic Center of Greater Lansing reported.
Tariq Thabet spent two years, 2021-2022, in Michigan as part of the university’s Fulbright Scholar exchange program. According to the Islamic Center of Greater Lansing, a fellow Humphrey scholar had been keeping in touch with Thabet since the Israel-Hamas war broke out on Oct. 7, but lost contact with him on Oct. 20 due to internet and power being cut off in the region. Thabet and several members of his family were reportedly killed Oct. 29 by an Israeli airstrike inside their apartment in central Gaza City.
Many members of the greater Lansing Muslim community are mourning his death, as he used to attend prayers at the Islamic Center and was beloved by many in the community.
Michigan State University will hold a memorial service from 6 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 7, at The Rock on Farm Lane, East Lansing, to honor his memory and offer students and community members a place to come together and pay tribute to him.
Other headlines for Monday, Nov. 6, 2023:
- Detroit residents and business owners expressed their displeasure with the Michigan Department of Transportation’s plan to deconstruct I-375 at a Town Hall Discussion hosted on Saturday by State Sen. Stephanie Chang (D-Detroit).
- Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel has joined a multi-state coalition of 25 attorneys general in submitting a letter to urge the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to strengthen guidance and provide clear warning labels regarding incorrect pulse oximeter readings for patients of color.
- Former Michigan Congressman Peter Meijer, a Republican who served one term in the U.S. House of Representatives before being ousted by voters following a vote to impeach then-President Donald Trump, announced today he will run for an open U.S. Senate seat in Michigan.
- Lt. Governor Garlin Gilchrist II recently awarded four tech start-ups $18 million as part of the Michigan Innovative Capital Fund.
- The Detroit Documenters is hosting its last orientation of the year at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 15.
Do you have a community story we should tell? Let us know in an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.