Welcome to the Detroit Evening Report, a daily round-up of news that city residents need to know.
A second trial is underway for two men accused of conspiring to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. A prosecutor told jurors Wednesday that Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr. wanted to ignite a “second American revolution” in 2020. Fox and Croft are on trial for a second time, four months after a jury failed to reach a unanimous verdict and acquitted two other men. Prosecutors again will present secretly recorded conversations, video, text messages and social media posts, to show how serious Fox and Croft were about kidnapping the governor. Defense attorneys insist there was no real conspiracy and that the defendants were entrapped.
Other headlines for Aug. 10, 2022:
- Detroit Tigers fire Executive Vice President and General Manager Al Avila
- Required repairs to the John R Bridge will close I-75 southbound between I-375 and M-10 this weekend
- Pediatric vaccinations and booster shots available by appointment for city residents
- Motown legends Smokey Robinson, Otis Williams and Martha Reeves celebrate Motown Museum’s expansion
- Detroit’s Ribs and B festival takes place at Hart Plaza this weekend
Photo credit: David Eggert/AP