Welcome to the Detroit Evening Report, a daily round-up of news that city residents need to know.
The Republican-led Legislature will start voting to freeze Michigan’s 27 cents-a-gallon gasoline and diesel taxes amid pump prices that exceed $4 per gallon after Gov. Gretchen Whitmer urged Congress to suspend the federal gas tax and diesel tax. Her office has not embraced halting state fuel taxes, saying it would hamper road repairs. The state legislation would save drivers approximately $750 million.
Other headlines for March 9, 2022:
- City of Detroit to start giving bonuses in effort to retain officers
- Men charged in Whitmer kidnapping plot swayed by FBI informants, attorneys say
- Greening of Detroit among organizations to receive grants to improve parks, natural habitat
- Movement lineup includes 2 Chainz, Flying Lotus, Jerk and Jollof
- Detroit City Football Club to air matches on WMYD TV 20
Listen: Today’s top stories from the Detroit Evening Report.