Welcome to the Detroit Evening Report, a daily round-up of news that city residents need to know.
Wayne County property owners who owe back taxes have a little more time to pay them. County Treasurer Eric Sabree has extended the payment deadline from March 14 to March 31. The deadline is the same for owners to start a payment plan to avoid foreclosure. Sabree says his office is working hard to keep residents in their homes. He announced last week that his office will be open on Saturdays through this month to assist customers.
Other headlines for March 8, 2022:
- Insured drivers in Michigan will start to receive $400 refund checks
- GM and Pacific Gas & Electric form partnership to test the use of EVs as a backup power source for homes
- Stocks fall after President Biden announces a U.S. ban on the import of Russian oil
- Two African American development companies plan to renovate the Fisher Body plant in Detroit
- Congress passes a federal anti-lynching law after nearly a century of trying
Listen: Today’s top stories from the Detroit Evening Report.