Students and staff returned to Oxford High School Monday, two months after gunfire took the lives of four teens.
It’s the first time the vast majority of students have been in the building since a 15-year-old sophomore allegedly shot and killed four classmates and wounded seven other people.
Oxford High School students had been attending classes at other buildings since Jan. 10. Everything “went very well” Monday morning as staff and students returned for classes for the first time since the Nov. 30 shooting, said Oxford Community Schools spokeswoman Dani Stublensky.
Workers repaired damage from the dozens of bullets fired, removed a makeshift memorial and re-painted hallways in calming colors.
Officials stationed counselors, therapy dogs and private security on site.
In a video message, Oxford High principal Steven Wolf calls it “reclaiming” the school
“We have been through so much to get to this moment. We’ve been grieving together, we’ve been praying together, we’ve attended funerals, vigils and memorials and we have been absolutely heartbroken. And we’ve been angry,” Wolf said in the video. “Yet we’ve been determined to carry on … And we are reclaiming our high school back.”
School officials still face a civil lawsuit accusing them of not doing enough to safeguard students before the shooting happened last November.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.