MichMash: Don’t Be Dazed and Confused About Where You Can Have Cannabis

post thumbnail image

Image credit: USDA.gov

Want to carry your recreational marijuana on campus or at Sleeping Bear Dunes? Slow your roll.

Tweet This

WDET Digital
WDET Digital

Several universities in Michigan say they will not allow marijuana on campus.

That’s despite a new law that will soon legalize recreational cannabis in the Mitten State.

College campuses that receive federal funding cannot allow cannabis because it is still illegal under federal law, they say.

Marijuana use remains illegal and fully criminalized according to federal law, and MSU is subject to the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989,” Michigan State University posted on its website after the vote to legalize cannabis on November 6.

You also cannot possess cannabis on federal lands.

But knowing the exact boundaries of those federal forests, parks, lakeshores — or where campus ends in Ann Arbor, East Lansing, or Midtown Detroit — might not always be so easy. 

As part of the weekly series MichMash, Cheyna Roth and Jake Neher explain why figuring out where you can and cannot have pot might leave you dazed and confused.

Click on the audio player above to hear that conversation.

Jake Neher, Producer, Detroit Today

Jake Neher is a producer and reporter for Detroit Today. He has formerly reported on the Michigan legislature.

Jake.Neher@wdet.org Follow @GJNeher

Cheyna Roth, Reporter

Cheyna has interned with Michigan Radio and freelanced for WKAR public radio in Lansing. She’s also done some online freelancing and worked on documentary films.

CRoth@MPRN.org Follow @Cheyna_R

MichMash

This post is a part of MichMash.

Each week, WDET's Jake Neher and Michigan Public Radio's Cheyna Roth un-jumble Michigan issues and talk about how statewide news stories affect you. 

Stay connected to Detroit