Hundreds of millions of dollars come to southeast Michigan communities through the federal government’s Community Development Block Grant program. Different municipalities spend it in different ways.
Match the communities to their CDBG projects
Learn about CDBG projects and proposals in southeast Michigan through the quiz below.
CLICK a place to expand the CDBG Quiz questions. CLICK AND HOLD individual questions to reveal their answers.
1. In 2016, Detroit proposes to spend MOST of its CDBG allocation ($6.9 million of $31.5 million) on which of the following?
a. Section 108 loan repayment
b. Rehabilitation of existing housing units
c. Public services and activities for Detroit citizens
d. Blight removal and demolition
2. In 2016, Detroit proposes to spend SOME of its CDBG allocation ($330,000 of $31.5 million) on which of the following?
a. Improvements to public facilities
b. Services to reduce number of Detroit citizens experiencing homelessness
c. Economic development and commerical rehabilitation
d. Rehabiliation of existing affordable housing units
3. In 2016, Detroit proposes to use how much money for park improvements?
c. $1.7 million
d. $3 million
1. In 2015, which municipality was granted $50,000 for a fire truck?
c. Brownstown Township
2. In 2015, which municipality was granted $38,186 for an ADA-accessible canoe and kayak launch?
b. Grosse Ile Township
3. In 2015, which municipality was granted $23,152 for historic preservation?
d. Harper Woods
4. In 2015, which municipality did NOT receive CDBG funds for sidewalk repairs or street scape improvements?
b. Grosse Pointe Park
c. Allen Park
d. Garden City
5. In 2015, which municipality did NOT receive CDBG funds for clean up, blight removal and elimination?
b. River Rouge
c. Highland Park
1. In 2016, which municipality proposes to use $760,004 for clearance and demolition?
b. South Lyon
d. Commerce Township
2. Using $107,000 to support parks and recreational facilities is part of which community’s 2016 plans?
a. Bloomfield Hills
b. Royal Oak
3. Tree planting with a cost of $5,000 was a project proposal in which suburb?
a. Holly Township
b. Beverly Hills
c. Lake Orion Township
4. In 2016, which municipality did NOT apply for CDBG funds to support code enforcement?
a. Hazel Park
c. Madison Heights
5. In 2016, which municipality did NOT apply for CDBG funds for minor home repairs?
a. Leonard Township
c. Clarkston Township
d. Auburn Hills
1. In 2016, which municipality proposes to use $323,815 to improve a senior center parking lot?
a. Clinton Township
b. Sterling Heights
c. St. Clair Shores
2. Reconstructing two parks would be a $100,000 project in which community?
b. Shelby Township
c. Harrison Township
d. Clinton Township
3. In 2016, which municipality proposes to use $5,000 to support the Hockey Player Enablement Fund?
b. Armada Township
c. St. Clair Shores
4. One of these suburbs did NOT apply for CDBG funds to bolster their public library’s book collection. Which one?
a. Sterling Heights
c. Armada Township
d. Shelby Township
5. In 2016, which municipality did NOT apply for CDBG funds to support homelessness prevention services?
a. Macomb Township
c. Sterling Heights
d. Lenox Township
- THE PROJECT TEAM
- Sandra Svoboda, special assignments manager
- Melissa Mason, research assistant and graphics designer
- Jessica McInchak, digital architect
- Matthew Morley, videographer and photographer