WDET Multimedia Designer
Thank you for your interest in WDET. This position has been filled and is no longer vacant.
WDET 101.9 FM is Detroit’s public radio station. Every day, our staff provides an eclectic mix of news, music, and cultural programming that is just as unique as the city we serve.
We are looking to hire a part-time multimedia designer to produce visual assets that strengthen WDET’s presence and brand. He or she should be well-versed in a variety of graphic design platforms — including the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) and Microsoft Office products (Word and PowerPoint). Preferred candidates also possess basic HTML and CSS skills to support in the design of email templates and be familiar with basic photography and/ or video editing.
Any candidate with experience in UI/ UX research or design would be an absolute plus!
This position will report to WDET’s Associate Director of Product Development & Business Operations and will work closely with team members across the organization. Our ideal candidate is a highly efficient and versatile creative designer in metro Detroit who is eager to use his or her creativity to strengthen a unique and playful brand.
Duties & Required Skills
- Design and produce visual assets that strengthen WDET’s voice and brand across multiple platforms — including web, social, email templates, print, and WDET merchandise
- Produce design assets for campaigns, initiatives, and programs that attract target audiences and align with WDET’s messaging goals and objectives
- Assist in the production of style guides and templates in a manner that is useful for team members across the organization
- Consult team members on design best practices that will enhance the end-user experience
- Gather feedback and iterate on design changes in a timely manner
- Monitor and improve WDET’s visual brand assets across platforms for quality and consistency
- Resourceful and creative thinker with exceptional attention to detail
- Strong and effective communicator with a preference to collaborate with team members
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS for the purpose of building email templates
- Basic knowledge of photography and/or videography and related editing skills
- Familiarity with using a CMS system similar to Wordpress and/ or Mailchimp
- Superior task and time management skills
Examples of Job Assignments
- Produce a visual identity for a special radio initiative or new podcast
- Design a flyer for a WDET event and prepare file to specs for printing
- Capture and edit staff photos
- Rebrand the style and layout of WDET’s weekly email newsletter
- Produce banner ads for WDET sponsors in response to client feedback
Additional Job Information
This position is part-time, requiring between 10 to 15 hours each week. As a member of WDET’s Technical Operations team, we expect that he or she works out of WDET studios in Midtown Detroit at least 5 hours a week and attends meetings in-person when needed.
The hourly wage will be between $25 and $30 dollars and will be determined based on one’s experience and versatility.
To apply, please complete WDET’s online application form. We look forward to hearing from you!
More Job Opportunities
If you love public radio or are interested in using your skills to make a difference in Detroit, we might have the perfect opportunity for you to join our team. Take a look at other job opportunities on our Jobs Page.