Welcome to the Detroit Evening Report, a daily round-up of news that city residents need to know.
A Detroit developer is building a new apartment complex on the city’s east side for people with low income. Nova Development Group says residents won’t pay more than 30% of their monthly income toward rent, thanks to vouchers from the Detroit Housing Commission. Nova hopes to finish the 14-unit project next year. The $5.4 million development includes $1.8 million in federal HOME funds, $179,000 in Community Development Block Grant money, and funds from the Detroit Housing & Revitalization Department.
Other headlines for May 5, 2022:
- Detroit City Council proposes $16M for Department of Transportation initiatives
- Detroit asks roofing and construction contractors to bid for $30M Renew Detroit program
- Detroit Public Schools delays lifting mask mandate
- Senator Gary Peters asks White House Office of Management and Budgets to add Middle Eastern/North African category
- Huntington Bank and Arab American News to award $75,000 in scholarships
Listen: Today’s top stories from the Detroit Evening Report.