Are you a journalist from an immigrant background interested in covering food and related subjects in metro Detroit?
Do you want to develop your skills as a storyteller in a variety of formats including audio?
Do you have unique story ideas at the intersection of food, immigration and Detroit communities?
WDET is teaming up with Feet in 2 Worlds, an award-winning website and journalism training project, to offer a limited number of food reporting fellowships to immigrant journalists and media-makers in metro Detroit. This is a unique opportunity to learn new skills while covering stories about critical issues in food including food culture in immigrant communities, child nutrition and education, labor and employment, anti-hunger efforts, sustainability, climate change and government food policies.
Fellows will work in the WDET newsroom and will be mentored by experienced audio producers. You will produce stories that will be broadcast on WDET and distributed through WDET and Feet in 2 Worlds’ websites.
Fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis. The fellowship starts in late September and continues to the end of 2018. This is a paid fellowship open to staff reporters and editors, and freelance journalists. The fellowship is structured to allow maximum flexibility for journalists with full-time jobs or other obligations.
Fellows receive the following:
- Training in all phases of audio production for broadcast and podcast
- Training in story development from concept to publication
- Exposure to the WDET newsroom, and the opportunity to contribute to WDET’s on air and online streams
- Training in the use of social media as a journalism tool
- Access to Feet in 2 Worlds’ international network of immigrant journalists
- Opportunities to pitch stories to nationally distributed public radio programs
- Use of field recording equipment and access to audio editing software at WDET
- A $3500 stipend
TO APPLY: SEND A COVER LETTER, YOUR RESUME, SAMPLES OF YOUR WORK AND THREE STORY IDEAS TO CONTACT@FEETIN2WORLDS.ORG. INCLUDE THE WORDS “DETROIT FOOD FELLOWSHIP” IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL. The deadline to apply is Monday, August 20th, 2018.
WDET is supporting this fellowship through its recently launched Detroit StoryMakers initiative. Additional support for the fellowship is provided by The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, The International Association of Culinary Professionals’ Foundation, The Culinary Trust, and its Growing Leaders Food Writing program. The Food Writing Program is funded with the support of the Boston Foundation.