The Craig Fahle Show

What the $70+ Million Blight Fight will Really Look Like

Monday, March 3, 2014





Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan announced during his first State of the City speech last week that the city would utilize $20 million in unspent insurance industry funds to remove blight.

The governor announced in August of last year that Detroit will get $52 million toward blight removal.

Executive Director of (MSHDA) Michigan State Housing Development Authority, Scott Woolsey is here to explain what those dollars will look like.

"Everyone has brought their own funding to the table," says Woolsey. "After Mayor Duggan approves the report, you're going to see a pretty massive effort in terms of demolition."

He says because of the blight-mapping project, some houses can be deconstructed and parts salvaged as opposed to being demolished.