Without Power? Homeowners Being Warned to Keep Portable Generators Outside

Power outages across Southeast Michigan mean many homeowners are relying on portable generators or other alternative heat sources. That is prompting the Detroit Fire Department to issue a warning. Department Captain Chris Dixon says generators, kerosene heaters, propane heaters, and other similar portable appliances must have ventilation.

Any gasoline powered generator created carbon monoxide which is very dangerous, odorless, and colorless. We urge that you do not use these generators in the house, inside your basement, even inside a closed garage, because they all need ventilation”

 

Dixon warns residents against lighting a gas or propane fueled appliance anywhere inside your home or in a closed garage. 

Image credit: Bre'Anna Tinsley/ WDET

About the Author

Amy Miller

Producer, Detroit Today

Amy has been working in public and commercial radio for the last 30 yrs. She is an award winning reporter and news anchor, born and raised in Detroit.

amiller@wdet.org   Follow @wdetamy

We want to hear from you.
Share your thoughts and opinions: