Jobs & Internships
Web Developer (Part-Time)
WDET 101.9 FM is the authentic voice of Detroit. As the city’s NPR station, we serve an engaged, diverse, and always curious audience through trusted news, inclusive conversations, and culture experiences that empower our community to move forward.
We are looking to hire a part-time web developer who will be responsible for the design, integration, and implementation of WDET’s web applications – including wdet.org that is built with the Django web framework. This position requires a sound knowledge of front-end and back-end web components, accessibility requirements, and related optimizations. The focus of work is to implement web solutions that use appropriate technologies to produce the optimal user experience on any device.
This position is part-time, requiring between 20-30 hours of work per week with flexibility to work outside of the office. WDET is located on the campus of Wayne State University in Detroit’s Midtown neighborhood.
The functions job will include the following:
- Administer production and development of web servers, install software, manage APIs, troubleshoots complex configuration issues, and perform system diagnostics and maintenance activities
- Oversee maintenance of the architecture, functionality, integrity and appearance of web sites and mobile applications
- Produce and modify web pages and mobile applications to reflect up-to-date policies, information and services and to enhance the look and feel of digital offerings
- This position will report to WDET’s Senior IT Systems Manager
- Experience with Django and Wordpress web platforms
- Experience integrating third-party software applications and APIs Strong emphases on the ability to create cross browser compatible code to ensure websites are available on the broadest range of devices
- Understands the value of the design process and can help create high quality projects driven by purpose and maintainable code
- Considerable project management skills, including ability to provide time estimates with an ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail to meet deadlines
- The incumbent should possess the ability to checkout and commit code to a source repository
WDET is looking to fill this position as soon as possible. If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume and cover letter to WDET’s Business Operations Coordinator at email@example.com. Please include "PT Developer Application" in your subject line. We look forward to hearing from you!
Gain the skills you need for the future at Wayne State’s public radio station, WDET 101.9 FM Detroit.
Wayne State University’s public radio station WDET is looking for mature and self-motivated interns and volunteers interested in pursuing a career in multi-media journalism, audio engineering or public media business and sales.
WDET offers internships for credit. With opportunities ranging from field reporting and photojournalism, to social media engagement and marketing, there’s a chance for every applicant to learn useful skills. Students and volunteers must be able to commit a minimum of 20 hours a week.
WDET's success is directly related to our connection with you, our listeners. Your generous efforts and gifts of your time are one of the things that help keep great radio alive!
We need your help with:
- "Thank You" Gift Packing
- Music Library Assistance
- Plant Tending
- And More!
Fill out our volunteer application and we will get in touch with you as opportunities arise! For more information about volunteering at WDET, contact our Membership team at 313.577.4550 or firstname.lastname@example.org.